Surviving the Holidays on a Budget
The winter holiday season can be overwhelming; putting extra demands on our time and wallets. Look Beauty has some ideas and money saving tips to help keep you cool and calm throughout the busiest (and often most expensive) time of the year! So, take a big deep breath and prepare to enjoy the season.
Gifts are a big part of the winter holidays. They don't have to cost a fortune because it is the thought that counts right? DIY gift ideas can be very inexpensive and still very special because you took the time to make them yourself. There are several great ideas with picture frames: simply insert a nice photograph or personalized note, or turn it into a framed chalkboard with a little chalkboard paint.
Another easy DIY gift is wine/martini glasses; just decorate with glass paint from your local craft store and you have a one-of-kind gift that is as unique as you are!
Another money-saving gift idea are gift baskets! They are simple, inexpensive and loved by recipients! To make a skin care basket for example, start with some inexpensive containers like shower caddies or baskets, cellophane and ribbon. Then have fun filling the basket. Consider including Look Beauty's Pore Refining Crème Masks, lip conditioners, candles, body lotions, and a relaxation CD. Most of these come in multi-packs creating several gifts in one simple step.
Look Beauty Tip: Create one extra basket as an emergency gift. Didn't need it? Pamper yourself or save it for an upcoming birthday gift.
Gifts aren't the only part of this bustling season that can break the bank. Here are some budgeting tips and alternatives that can maximize seasonal fun while minimizing the cost:
- Dine in! Host a potluck holiday lunch or dinner with friends instead of going out and spending a fortune at a restaurant.
- Have a secret snowflake or holiday ornament exchange to kick off the winter holiday season. Set a budget and organize a gift exchange at work or with friends.
- Host a movie marathon - a holiday movie marathon. Gather friends and family together with holiday inspired snacks like hot chocolate and gingerbread cookies for an evening of fun.
- Make your own holiday greeting cards with some inexpensive decorating supplies and a little time. Make it fun and get the family involved!
- Get friends together for some holiday craft time. Pinecones make great holiday ornaments plus they can double as natural air fresheners. Collect a few from outside and make them into holiday decorations or even a gorgeous holiday wreath.
Not the DIY type? Take advantage of reduced to clear sales or consider shopping non-typical gift locations like the grocery or neighborhood garden centers. Also consider starting early on next year's gift giving by shopping all year round. This approach will save your bank account from getting one big blow and allow you to avoid the crowded shopping malls during the busy holiday season!